The holidays, either you love 'em or you hate 'em.
Either way, lots of thoughts and emotions come up. So how do you deal with it in a more constructive way than reaching for food?
Let me ask you this...
When was the last time you paid attention to your feet on the earth?
If you are anything like me, you live most of your life in your head, dancing a disjointed tango with your thoughts.
The last thing that comes to mind is to ground yourself with the earth when these thoughts are spinning together in chaos creating a messy soup of emotion.
I had an experience last night that reminded me how important it is to feel the ground.
I went to a powerful healing event. It opened up an abundance of negative and stuck energy that has been holding me back.
The experience of release left me feeling off kilter yet my mind was calm. A totally weird place to be in. I took a few minutes to plant my feet on the floor and feel my presence and grounding with the earth.
This morning I realized how valuable this technique is RIGHT NOW in the midst of the holidays.
So this year, when aunt Betty says that super emotionally charging thing about your butt again, or uncle Don pipes up on a political topic that makes your blood boil, try this...
Instead of letting the mind whiz in circles with the eventual stop at food town, give this technique a whirl to take control of your emotional situation.
- Remove yourself from the situation if you can and close your eyes, otherwise stay where you are but focus on you, not the people around you.
- Direct your attention to your feet planted squarely on the floor. Wiggle your toes and relax them.
- Imagine roots growing from the bottoms of your feet, driving through the floor and deep into the earth.
- Envision your roots extending to the warm white core of the earth. Allow your roots to drink in the balanced harmonious light that is there for you to take in.
- Bring that light back up through your roots and into you feet.
- Allow the harmonious light and energy to bathe the cells of your body, bringing a calming energy throughout.
- Breathe deeply into the belly as you practice this. Let go of the judgment of an expanding belly.
- Sit with this calming core energy from the earth as long as you need to so that you feel yourself moving from agitation in the mind to a peaceful calm within the body.
Sometimes all we need is this reminder that we live in our bodies, not our heads.
Let me know how this works for you. Share in the Facebook Group or shoot me a private message.
P.S. If you missed my last blog on Hacks for Surviving the Holiday Binge you can find it HERE